World’s Most Instagrammable Villages
The rumours are true - one sleepy little Glos village has made the hotlist. We reveal which one it is and give you 20 reasons to indulge in some cool voyage voyeurism.
We are far more than the sum of our hashtags, a fancy Greek philosopher once said. But if you go to a spa day, on a mini-break, or even just a walk with the dog, did it ever happen if you don’t post it on social media? We are forever looking for the most picture perfect scene to sit on our grid squares.
Perhaps you love the globe-trotting gorgeousness of @bemymuse, the dreamy destinations of @wheresmollie, or the UK adventures of @aladyinlondon. Well now the list of Most Instagrammed Villages 2020 has been revealed.
Experts have been busy adding up the numbers of hashtags per village to discover which ones take the crown, and we think this Top 20 makes the perfect inspo for any holiday planning (or wishful thinking).
Only two UK destinations made the grade and … (drum roll please) a village in our very own glorious county of Gloucestershire is one of them. Can you guess which one it is? Scroll down for the big reveal …
1. Italy’s Cinque Terre is the most popular village on Instagram, with 2,049,711 hashtags
2. Reine in Norway with 1,614,863 hashtags
3. Oia in Greece with 1,486,743 hashtags
4. Burano in Italy with 1,048,053 hashtags
Photo: Samuel Holland/Shutterstock
5. Colmar in France with 995,124 hashtags
6. Hallstatt in Austria with 817,211 hashtags
Photo: Feel Good Studio/Shutterstock
7. Alberobello in Italy with 584,207 hashtags
Photo: Balate Dorin/Shutterstock
8. Hobbiton in New Zealand with 499,028 hashtags
Photo: S Orusova/Shutterstock
9. Shirakawa-go in Japan with 257,244 hashtags
10. Sidi Bou Said in Tunisia with 232,785 hashtags
11. Wengen in Switzerland with 99,176 hashtags
Photo: Gaspar Janos/Shutterstock
12. Ait Benhaddou in Morocco with 97,310 hashtags
13. Popeye Village in Malta with 78,197 hashtags
14. And coming in at no.14, our very own gram-tastic village is … Bibury in Gloucestershire, with 78,070 hashtags. Muddy says – We love this village for its old world serenity, stunning 16th century weavers’ cottages, walks along the River Coln, the legendary Trout Farm where you can get delicious cream teas and picturesque pub The Swan. The perfect Cotswold village for your squares – go early to beat the tourists.
15. Ortahisar in Turkey with 69,155 hashtags
Photo: Birol Bali/Shutterstock
16. Fenghuang Ancient Town in China with 62,392 hashtags
17. Staithes in England with 42,341 hashtags
Photo: Lucasz Pajor/Shutterstock
18. Juzcar in Spain with 14,404 hashtags
19. Palangan in Iran with 9,938 hashtags
Photo: Eugene Ga/Shutterstock
20. Simiane-la-Rotande in France with 1,801 hashtags
Photo: Filip Fuxa/Shutterstock